Publication Strategy

I am a new OASIS member and need to find a better publication strategy.
Currently, I write aircraft manuals via the Air Transport Association SGML
Standards (ATA 2200) and have been using Docbook as an publication outline
to develop my documents for electronic text. My system consists of writing
the manuals in FM+SGML (Windows 2000) and then exporting them to SGML. I do
a quick transformation from SGML into XML (via editing in Notepad) and use
XSL (based on the Docbook XSL) to style the document into HTML. The system
is very primitive (albeit very inexpensive) but it limits my ability to
reach my goal. Can anyone suggest any alternate methods? Also, the graphics
are done in TIFF/CGM format then translated to JPG? Is SVG better?

My goal is to provide searchable, interactive manuals in which the user can
easily navigate and if so desired export to various formats (pdf, word, rtf,
etc.) for downloading and printing. Unfortunately, I have no budget so I
cannot purchase any proprietary applications.

Thanks.

IMPORTANT - THIS MESSAGE (INCLUDING ANY ATTACHMENTS) IS INTENDED ONLY FOR
THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED, AND MAY
CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM
DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU
SHOULD DELETE THIS MESSAGE IMMEDIATELY AND YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY
READING, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS MESSAGE, OR THE
TAKING OF ANY ACTION BASED ON IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. THANK YOU.