Rendering model for images in DocBook

Hi

I am currently looking at the "DocBook: The Definitive Guide" documentation (HTML Help version, "tdg-en-2.0.6.chm").

In the element reference, under the "imagedata" element there is a description of the rendering model for images and how the contentwidth, width, scale, scalefit and other attributes interact.

There are two examples which both have the same markup:
<imagedata fileref="image.png" width="6in" depth="5.5in"/>
In one case, the image is rendered at its intrinsic size (e.g 1in x 1in), within an area of the viewport which is 6in by 5.5in..
But in another case (with exactly the same example markup), it is explained that scalefit defaults to 1, so that the image is stretched (uniformly) to fill as much of this viewport space as possible.
These two examples seem to be at odds with one another.
My question is: which of these is correct?  Is one the "old" behaviour and one the new?
Also, is there any more recent documentation concerning the rendering model for images?
TIA
nik