From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@caldera.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 4:57 PM
To: Jeff Beal; DocBook Mailing List (E-mail)
Subject: Re: DOCBOOK-APPS: More performance issues with XSL 1.52.2

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 03:36:17PM -0400, Jeff Beal wrote:
> In a previous post, I noted that my build time increased by a ridiculous
> amount (5 hours to 50, more or less) when upgrading from the 1.48
> stylesheets to the 1.52.2 stylesheets.  With a little bit of customization
> (discussed on those threads) I was able to get my time to something
slightly
> faster than the 1.48 stylesheets.  However, that allowed the build to go
> further than I had allowed it to go, revealing grossly huge memory
> utilization.  Instead of using around 350MB of RAM, it now maxes out at
> 1.4GB of RAM, and Java can't seem to handle any more than that - it
crashes.
> (I had to play with the -X parameters to get it to go as high as 1.4GB).
> I've tried a couple of different things, including looking for more
> customizations and using different Saxon switches, and the long and short
of
> it all seems to be that I can't use the 1.52.2 stylesheets with Saxon.
I'd
> switch to xsltproc at this point, but I really need the extension
functions
> Norm provides, and one of my own that handles all of my graphics in a
rather
> nice way.
>
> Any ideas here?

It sounds like you are processing very large documents,
such as sets of books?  You might consider processing
smaller modules and using olinks to connect them.
The 1.52 stylesheets have a new olink implementation
that makes olinking easier.  I haven't publicized it
yet because 1.52.2 has a little glitch that's fixed
in CVS, but I can help you try it out if you are
interested.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com