empty-element anchors

I am so close to finishing this documentation project!  Wahoo!!!

The only thing stumping me now is some single ended anchor tags (ex:
reason, Internet Explorer hates single-ended anchors and they mess up
your style-sheets.  If I manually change these tags my style sheets
work perfectly.

In an attempt to remedy this, I've gone through and changed EVERY

  (make empty-element gi: "A" ...)

to a

  (make element gi: "A" ...)

This fixed all of the anchor tags except for the ones at the very top
of each HTML file.  I still get codes similar to the following:

(NavHeader stuff)
<DIV CLASS="CHAPTER">
  <H1>
  <A NAME="AEN8">
  <DIV CLASS="SECTION">
    <H1 CLASS="SECTION">
    <A NAME="AEN10">
    (Section content)

I'm guessing the <A NAME="AEN8"> and <A NAME="AEN10"> are generated
differently than the other anchors, but I can't seem to find the code
that does this.  Does anyone (please help me, Mr. Walsh!) know where
this is?

For reference, I've written my documents in SGML and am using Jade
1.2.1, DocBook 4.1, and DSSSL 1.76b+.

Gre7g.