Re: Slow startup of psgml emacs

At 19:02 16/05/2002 +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
>At 00:15 16/05/2002 -0400, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
>
>>I don't know Windows.  If you can run emacs from the RUN button, try
>>running it with --no-init as a run flag; this loads Emacs alone
>>without loading any of the library files.  Emacs itself is mostly just
>>an engine, and your distro may have added all sorts of unnecessary
>>things to the config script (.emacs in unix, don't know what it's
>>called in windows).  If it loads fast with --no-init (assuming this
>>flag works in windows) then you need to learn how to trim down your
>>config file.
>
>Ah. Never thought of that. I've always had 'enough' ram.
>On win2K, it looks for an env variable HOME and looks
>for .emacs file in that location, else looks in
>wherever you installed it.

I've got plenty of RAM, HOME set, etc, etc

I downloaded and installed the out-of-the-box tei-emacs installation.
Commenting out the (load-library "tei-emacs-init") from site-start.el
results in an very fast load, so the problem is somewhere in the tei/psgml
stuff.

I guess the next thing to try is a vanilla installation as per Markus
Hoenika's website.

Is there any option or flag that would trace or profile what the startup
code is actually doing ?

Regards,

Dave