Re: Notes on graphics and HTML

At 10:43 AM 03/05/2002 -0500, Paul Grosso wrote:
><snip>
> >if I'm not mistaken these values will override any values I may choose
> to establish in my customized external CSS; if that is the case then you
> are taking away my ability and that of the end user to customize at view
> time in favour of customizing at, say, serve time.
>
>Then you shouldn't have put those values into the DocBook source.
>The stylesheets aren't trying to take anything away from you, they
>are just translating the DocBook input into HTML output.  If you
>have a different plan for how images should be scaled, then I assume
>your DocBook input wouldn't have any sizing attributes.

Good point. Would this get me into difficulties if I were trying to single
source to other formats such as PDF?

> > Further, I'm not convinced customizing at "serve" time is necessary
> when it can be done (in many cases) adequately and more simply/flexibly
> at view time, i.e. with CSS and/or alternative CSS files.
>
>I don't know how to scale images via CSS in such a way as to
>provide much greater end-user flexibility than you can get
>with straight HTML.

It's not so much a question of how for the flexibility, it's a question of
who... and when in the process.

><snip>
>So the only capability beyond given a dimension in pixels is
>the nn% which, as you note, is a percent of the available width.
>
>This is precisely what Norm and I were discussing in an earlier
>message where we exhanged:

Yes. And as observers of the list content we all know that there is a
tremendous volume of mail from people, like myself, trying to get their
heads around the handling of images in numerous contexts. It may not have
occurred to some of them, for example, to leave out the dimensional data in
the XML source. While I still have a question about leaving these values
uninitialized in single sourcing to other output formats (including direct
display in browsers), it's a useful insight that is somewhat outside
technical functionality of the schema and the style-sheets. More of a usage
option, if you will. Thanks for that.

Since you've brought this thread full circle there's probably not much more
to be gained; I'll sign off with again thanks.

Regards.                   ...edN