Re: XSLT and DocBook 3.1 SGML?

I would convert the documents to XML and leave them as XML.

XML can be handled by SGML tools with an appropriate declarations
file...

... Unless of course you are tied to some SGML tool that won't handle
XML... (might be time to change that tool)

All my new documents are XML documents, although I still process them
with openjade and DSSSL.

There are more XML tools than there are SGML tools available now, so
using DocBook XML is pretty much a win-win situation for me.

But in crude terms, XML is a subset of SGML, rather than the other way
round... So it is easier  to get things that know about SGML to handle
XML rather than vice versa.