Re: tetex and PassiveTeX in Red Hat (was Re: htmlcosmetics)

--OZkY3AIuv2LYvjdk

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 01:03:11AM -0800, Alex Lancaster wrote:

> On this very subject, I'm working through getting a working
> XSL/FO/PassiveTex setup working on my Red Hat 7.2 system, and
> following the instructions above in "Chapter 2. Tools", it lists the
> following dependencies available in Raw Hide:
>=20
>       libxml2 (at least 2.4.6-1)
>       libxslt
>       sgml-common and xml-common (at least 0.6.3-3)
>       tetex (at least 1.0.7-35)
>       xmltex
>       passivetex (at least 1.11-1)
>       docbook-style-xsl (at least 1.47-1)
>       docbook-dtd412-xml
>=20
> All well and good, and I'm used to getting packages from Raw Hide, and
> it's not normally a problem, but unfortunately tetex-1.0.7-35 is now
> gone! (all of the other packages install fine).  Again, not normally a
> problem (after all it says "at least 1.0.7-35"), so it's been replaced
> with 1.0.7-38, which again would be all fine and good, except that
> it's been compiled with the new GCC (as noted in the changelog of Dec
> 06).

Yes, I know.  I am looking at getting a newer teTeX package released
as an enhancement/bugfix advisory soon.  In the mean time I'll see if
I can rebuild the rawhide teTeX against a 7.2 build tree.

> So is there any way to smoothly install the necessary tools to use the
> XSL/FO/PassiveTex toolchain short of wholesale committing to the
> entire (unstable) distro of Raw Hide? =20

I have put everything except for teTeX here:
<ftp://people.redhat.com/twaugh/docbook-pkgs/>.  It should work
against 7.2 (I'm using those packages here on a 7.2 machine).  If
there are dependencies I've missed, please let me know.

> It would also be nice to be able to upgrade the binary without
> having to fiddle around manually with the ".cnf" files in tetex,
> which are just completely opaque to me [not being a great
> TeX-pert].)

You shouldn't need to.  If you have modified the texmf.cnf file then
you will find a texmf.cnf.rpmnew file after upgrade; just move the
=2Erpmnew file over the .cnf file.

Tim.
*/

--OZkY3AIuv2LYvjdk