Ordered List Item Numbers

I have a docBook document with many ordered lists. A few are nested.

I'd like to have the second item of the inner list have an item number like 3.2 (where the inner list is within
the 3rd list item of the outer list.

I'm using the html/docbook.xsl stylesheet that came with the Norman Walsh package, the
documentation for which point to the section that is supposed to "export" the item number, but I don't get
any numbers for the inner list. The outer list is numbered, but it looks like an effect of the <li> tag.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Polanik