<figure> and flow of text question

Hi,

I'm placing a large EPS into a file as a <figure>, and I'm noticing that
when there isn't enough room to put it after any text on one page, the
figure is rendered on the following page. This is fine, but is it possible
to have any text that comes /after/ the <figure> in the flow of the
document to be placed before it in the order of the rendering, such that
there is no great gaping gap where the figure wouldn't fit on the page?

I'm using the 1.7b DSSSL stylesheets for print.

Cheers, hope that makes sense,

--
roryh