Re: Re: libxslt/xsltproc and XML catalogs

NV> comitee refuses to admit that an URI reference is an URI reference
NV> and that the resolution mechanism should be unified.

NW> External identifiers are different from other URIs. Eventually, the

DV>   Why, and how do you tell ?

DV> As a result I suggested the Tim Waugh (Red Hat DocBook packager)
DV> and I'm afraid it will have to become a rule that all
DV> rewriteSystem should be duplicated as rewriteUri to avoid
DV> troubles by pedantic XML Catalog implementations (and similar for
DV> others System related instructions).  End of the disgression

NW> I'd rather you suggested that rewritesystem not be used for URIs
NW> that aren't system identifiers!

Well, regardless of what the ultimate "right" answer is to the system
id/URI distinction, I'd thought I'd let you know that if I switch to
using rewriteURI, e.g.:

<rewriteURI
uriStartString="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/snapshot/"; rewritePrefix="file:///home/alex/packages/share/sgml/docbook-xsl-1.46-experimental/"/>

then everything is still fine and dandy with xsltproc.  The only
reason I used "rewriteSystem" in the first place was because the
sample XML catalog that Bob Stayton provided used it.

DV>   How do you know when adding an URI in an XML Catalog if it is
DV> expected to be used as an External identifiers, as an URI embedded
DV> for a document or something else ?

I must admit that, I too, am still a little confused as to this
difference, but so long as there is a consistent rule that I can
adhere to when writing XML catalogs for DocBook XML docs and
stylesheets and that works in the same consistent way for a number of
different XML/XSLT processors then I'm happy.  Sounds like remapping
using URIs throughout whenever you see a "http://"; is the safest...?

Alex