Re: epcEdit

Dennis Grace <dgrace@us.ibm.com> writes:

> Greetings, all,
>
> I'm looking for any information anyone here might have on epcEdit (beyond
> what's at their Website, of course). Particularly, if you use epcEdit, have
> you had any problems with editor. What do you like, dislike about epcEdit
> and epc?

I've used epcEdit and found it to work very well. It's got a decent
interface, and I think if you're working with other writers who aren't
comfortable using Emacs/PSGML, it ought to appeal to them especially.

Dislikes:

  * non-Free software

Likes:

  * fast, and can handle very large documents without running into
    performance problems
  * full regex search-and-replace
  * cross-platform (Linux, Solaris, Windows)
  * WYSIWYG editing of CALS/OASIS Exchange Table Model and HTML tables
  * control over character formatting during on-screen editing (but
    using a non-standard stylesheet language -- not CSS)
  * works with full SGML as well as XML
  * support for SGML Open/OASIS catalog files
  * can display railroad diagrams for any element in a DTD
      http://www.logopoeia.com/xml/images/railroad.png
  * automatic population of browsable lists of valid ID values for
    attributes whose type is IDREF (like DocBook's linkend and
    endterm attributes)
      http://www.logopoeia.com/images/idrefBrowseEpcEdit.png
  * Unicode support
  * support for drag-and-drop of text and elements
  * Tcl source code for the user interface provided

Morphon also has some of those features.