customizing XSL titlepages

Hope you don't mind, but I changed the Subject line to
better reflect the current question.

I'm just learning the titlepage customization myself,
so don't consider this an authoritative answer.
The titlepage elements are processed in various
modes, so that might be why your new template is
being missed.  I was able to get <holder> wrapped
in <P> with these templates in a customization layer:

<xsl:template match="copyright" mode="book.titlepage.recto.mode" >
    <xsl:apply-templates mode="book.titlepage.recto.mode"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="holder" mode="book.titlepage.recto.mode" >
   <P>
        <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </P>
</xsl:template>

I don't think you need to include the <year/> and
<holder/> elements in your titlepage.templates.xml
spec file, because templates are applied to the
children of copyright anyway.  I just needed to
specify the templates in the right mode.  The one
for copyright is just to pass the mode down to
the holder template, since modes are not automatically
propagated to children.  Hope this is something
that helps.

bobs
                                            email: bobs@caldera.com