Re: Re: DOCBOOK: Minutes: DocBook Technical CommitteeMeeting: 21 Aug 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:20:35AM +0200, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   Hum, assuming DocBook 5.0 is XML only, did you evaluate XLink ? I
> > assume you at least looked at it, and if yes do you have an archive
> > of pros/cons available ?
>
> Using XLink would mean to use XML namespaces in DocBook documents. There
> are not many XML editors which are able to deal with namespaced
> documents. If you want to use editors like XMetaL, Epic, Emacs+PSGML to
> edit DocBook documents with namespace you must create single DTD which
> incorporates DocBook + XLink + whatever else (XInclude, MathML, SVG,

  I don't fully understand the problem from an editor point of view, they
just have names with ':' in them, they should not have to worry about this,
those are of course perfectly acceptable XML Names per the XML spec. Do
you mean that XMetaL, Epic and Emacs+PSGML don't support names with ':' ?

> ...). It is not easy to merge DTDs.

  Agreed but it's a 1 step effort, once done people should not have to worry
about what spec the given element or attribute came from. On the other hand
the semantic has already been defined etc, and that's supposed to be better
for users.

Daniel