Generating CHM HTML Help files from DocBook?

Folks,

Now that we (e-smith) are part of Mitel Networks, I have been
working with their documentation folks to bring our docs in line
with what they are doing.  They turn out to mostly use tools like
RoboHelp to generate Microsoft HTML Help or RoboHelp "WebHelp" files.

Without really having a clue about what I was doing, I generated  (from
my DocBook XML source) a set of HTML Help files using Norm's htmlhelp
XSL stylesheets, zipped them up and sent them off to the folks there.
They were able to very easily generate a single ".chm" help file and
were quite impressed with the output (although they said the TOC was
a bit funky).  So I have a couple of questions for anyone on the list
who has worked with HTML Help:

 1. Are there any free/open-source apps that can take HTML Help files
    and generate this single CHM file?  If not free/oss, are there
    any utilities that Microsoft supplies that do this?

 2. If so, are there any that run on Linux and can be scripted from
    the command line?  (I am envisioning adding another target to my
    Makefile so that "make all" builds not only HTML (chunked and
    single-page) and PDF, but also HTML Help.)

 3. Any other pointers or tips that people may have from working with
    Norm's HTML Help stylesheets?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

--
Dan York, Director of Training        dyork@e-smith.com
Ph: +1-613-751-4401  Mobile: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739