<variablelist> FOP-rendering

Hello,

I got strange results rendering <variablelists> with FOP (using the 1.41
stylesheets and Saxon 6.4.2 ( or Xalan 2.1 just for verifying this
behaviour )).

It seems to work well if the term is short enough and just one word (I
always wanted just ONE term consisting of sometimes more than one word).
If the term consists of more than one word it will break after the first
word in the term into the next lines and may overwrite other blocks beneath.
If the term isn't short enough it will overwrite the explanation of the
term (which looks interesting , sort of eyecatcher - just try it ;-)   )
Even stranger, when a such a "long term" scratches the top of the page, the
first word disappeared.

I suspect, it's not working as it should.
In the FO-sources it seems well defined (, well it looks like for me as an
absolute beginner on FO).

is it FOP again ...??? Can I change this behaviour?

Ciao
   jENs