How can I markup BNF w/ description paragraphs renderinglike variablelist ??

I've just received a requirement to document a grammar with
Backus-Naur Form (BNF).

The example given shows several BNF definitions, each one having
a description paragraph very much like a <variablelist> rendering.

A <variablelist> can't be used however, because <term> does not
allow a verbatum environment (AFAIK), and yet that is what BNF
expression requires. Just can't get there with variablelist, and
yet there seems to be no alternative. Table doesn't cut it,
nor segmentedlist.

Can someone please offer a suggestion. I'm at a dead end.

--
Jeffrey L. Franks  (Web)  http://www.motiftools.org
                   (Mail) jfranks@quik.com