Re: lang=en-US destroys titles

> From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
>
> I tried to report this on SourceForge but couldn't figure
> out how to do that. I'm using Docbook XSL 1.4.1.

On the sourceforge Docbook project page, just below the
title, are a couple rows of links that include "Bugs".  When
you go to that page, there is link labeled "Submit New"
just above the selection boxes.  It isn't real obvious.

I went ahead and submitted it for you.

> After I added a lang="en-US" attribute to my root book
> element, all titles in my book promptly disappeared. They
> were still present in the TOCs, but the actual headers in
> the text were blank. This was for sections, figures, notes,
> examples, everything that had a title. Removing
> lang="en-US" from the book element fixed the problem. I
> have not yet experimented with other lang codes to see what
> they do.
>
> The problem was evident in both PDF produced by FOP and
> chunked HTML. I haven't checked the other variants yet.  --

It will be in all variants, I'm afraid.  The titles (and
xrefs for that matter) are handled by the gentext templates
for localization of "Chapter" labels and such.  The problem
here is that it is not falling back to the two-character
lang code like "en" when there isn't a specific file for a
lang+country code like "en-US".  It should.
I've got a fix but I'd like to check it out with Norm
before I check it in to make sure I'm fixing it in the
right place in the templates.

For now, try using just lang="en".

bobs
                                            email: bobs@caldera.com