Re: Normalizing spaces?

/ "M. Wroth" <mark@astrid.upland.ca.us> was heard to say:
[...]
| Norman then asks
|
| >So I'm still confused about what special processing you see being
| >applied to spaces.
|
| When I do the equivalent with DocBook and the Modular DSSSL style
| sheets, spaces are not preserved, and I'm trying to figure out how
| that is accomplished.

Ok, I converted that test document to DocBook and ran:

hermes:~$ jade -c /share/doctypes/catalog -d /sourceforge/docbook/dsssl/html/docbook.dsl -t sgml test2.sgm
<P
>It is not permissible under the Society's rules to
    fimbriate a chief. Laurel precedent (Laurel Alison, Dec 86
    and Aug 88) <SPAN
CLASS="QUOTE"
>"however this is blazoned, in appearance it
    includes a fimbriated chief, which is not permitted for
    Society usage"</SPAN
>. RFS VIII.3 limits fimbiration to simple
    geometric charges placed in the center of the field; while a
    chief is a simple geometric charge, it is not in the center
    of the field. </P

So it looks to me like the spaces are preserved.

| No -- this is primarily (maybe exclusively) an RTF backend process (I

Even if I use the RTF backend, I still get the spaces:

{\rtf1\ansi\deff0
{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Times New Roman;}
}
{\colortbl;}{\stylesheet{\s1 Heading 1;}{\s2 Heading 2;}{\s3 Heading 3;}{\s4 Heading 4;}{\s5 Heading 5;}{\s6 Heading 6;}{\s7 Heading 7;}{\s8 Heading 8;}{\s9 Heading 9;}}
\deflang1024\notabind\facingp\hyphauto1\widowctrl
\pard\sl-240 \fs20 It is not permissible under the Society's rules to     fimbriate a chief. Laurel precedent (Laurel Alison, Dec 86     and Aug 88) "however this is blazoned, in appearance it     includes a fimbriated chief, which is not permitted for     Society usage". RFS VIII.3 limits fimbiration to simple     geometric charges placed in the center of the field; while a     chief is a simple geometric charge, it is not in the center     of the field. }

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Men are not sufficiently perfect to