Re: TeX capacity exceeded,sorry [number of strings=51918].

Nik Clayton wrote:

> I've tweaked values in texmf.cnf till I'm blue in the face.  I know that
> the tweaks are having an effect, because if I adjust values *down* then
> the error message occurs earlier.  But no matter how high I adjust the
> values it always bombs out at 51918 strings.

We hit this same problem a while back and finally decided that the
tex/pdfjadetex path must have some kind of absolute limit, because we
couldn't process our stuff either.  The total size of our manual at that
time was 700+ pages (about 1.1 megs zipped), and tex always conked out
around 620 or so pages, as I recall.  We finally decided to break the
book into three volumes for PDF distribution, since it was going to be
huge in published format anyway.

Sorry not to be of more help. If you find a better workaround, please
post it.

Cheerio!

Bob