Re: Problem converting DB to PDF...

Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I don't think so.  I saw this if I used pdftex and used the .png files
> *natively*.  They still appeared about twice as large as I'd like them
> to be in the generated .pdf file.
>
> This wouldn't have been a problem *if* I could have reliably converted
> from PNG to PDF.  If I could have done that then I could have just upped
> the DPI when converting from PNG to EPS and PNG to PDF.

What I do is that most of my source images are in .eps, and for PDF
output, I convert from .eps to .pdf.  Thus no density problem arises.
'convert foo.eps foo.pdf' works great.

I guess that doesn't help you if your source images are .png however.

The problem is that whenever you convert into PDF format there is a
density being set implicitly -- default is 72x72.  I bet you already
know that.

> Sadly, every time I tried this (whether I was using Ghostscript
> directly, or ImageMagick, or any of the NetPBM stuff) I got a broken PDF
> file.

I dunno, 'convert foo.png foo.pdf' works for me, but I haven't tried
embedding that.

I just noticed the EPDF format.   Hmm.   Maybe that is what we should
be using?