Re: Re: Where, what and how - The future of DocBook

Phillip Shelton <shelton@usq.edu.au> writes:

> I have found that a validating editor is not useful if you are
> trying to take old docs and make them DocBook as I do not know how
> to get it to put the tags around a block of text.

Not sure what validating editor you're using, but in Emacs/psgml,
tagging a region of text is easy. If you've got GUI and "Transient
Mark Mode" enabled (check out Help>Options), all you need do is:

  1. With mouse, select/highlight the region (block of text) to tag.

  2. Choose the -Tag Region- menu item.

  3. Choose the tag you want from the pop-up menu that appears.

If you don't have GUI or are just old-fashioned:

  1. Mark the region using C-space and C-x-x or M-h or whatever.

  2. Type C-c C-r or manually enter "M-x sgml-tag-region".

  3. Hit tab to see a list of valid tags.

  4. Type the first few letters of the tag you want, and then let
     Emacs auto-complete the name for you.

That's it.

  --Mike Smith

--