Re: Creating Different Output Formats Using DocBook V4.1 XML

SR> Jorge Godoy writes:

[...]

SR> why?
>>  It's output is good!

SR> good god. we do have different aesthetics.....

Texinfo is not only about TeX, but mainly about `info' documents,
IMHO, which is better form of hypertext than HTML, especially for
reference guides/API docs because: 1) it's searchable across pages
(not just within a page like HTML), 2) can be manipulated purely by
keystrokes (and yes, I know about lynx, but info's more sophisticated
w.r.t. documentation features, than lynx); 3) info uses a lightweight
reader, which doesn't require a behmoth like Netscape... great if you
just want to quickly look up an API or a function within Emacs, whilst
programming...

For Docbook formatting into `info', try:

 http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook2x

I believe the maintainer, Steve Cheng, is actually in the process of
writing XSL stylesheets to transform DocBook XML into an intermediate
Texinfo XML format than can be easily translated into actual Texinfo.
I've used the earlier Perl script version on a 400+ reference guide
with good results.

Alex
--
Alex Lancaster * alexl@bigfoot.com * www.santafe.edu/~alex * 505 984-8800 x242