Converting to DocBook 4.0 XML

    >> From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk>
    >>
    >> I shall shortly be upgrading from 3.1 to 4.0. But should I be
    >> looking to use the SGML DTD or XML? What are the pros and cons
    >> of these two alternatives?

    Bob> I'll be provocative and say that XML has a future and SGML
    Bob> doesn't.

<snip>

    Bob> But you say you will be "upgrading" from 3.1 to 4.0, which
    Bob> implies you already have legacy SGML content.  Depending on
    Bob> how much SGML you have, you'll have to include your
    Bob> conversion effort in your comparison.

    Bob> I believe anyone starting out fresh would be better off in
    Bob> the long run by choosing XML.

Actually, I have very little conversion to do, as the "legacy" is only
about 1 month old.

So this thread has convinced me that moving to XML now looks like a
good idea (but staying with DSSSL for the style-sheets).

Converting the SGML source to XML is not a problem. And I've
downloaded the DocBook 4.0 XML bundle.

But what about tools? Currently I use jade and Norman's  modular DSSSL
style-sheets via the db2html and
db2ps/db2pdf scripts that come with RedHat Linux 6.2. I presume I can
continue to use jade, just changing the -t sgml option to -t xml, but
I presume I will have to upgrade the style-sheets themselves, for 4.0,
but are there different style-sheets for SGML and XML, or is this not
an issue?
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire