This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Updated: xinit-1.3.4-9 (major changes to multiwindow session)
- From: Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-announce <cygwin-announce at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 18:19:52 -0500
- Subject: Updated: xinit-1.3.4-9 (major changes to multiwindow session)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- Reply-to: The Cygwin Mailing List <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
The following package has been updated in the Cygwin distribution:
xinit contains commands used for starting X sessions.
This release includes major changes to the default multiwindow session
based on feedback from users:
* fbpanel (the menu and tray located in the upper corner of the screen)
previously used by the multiwindow session is no longer required by
xinit. Users that have no other need for fbpanel may choose to
* Instead, the new xwin-xdg-menu provides a spec-compliant menu for
launching X applications, and for exiting the X session, from the
Windows notification area. The alacarte package (Preferences->Main
Menu) may be installed to edit the menu on a per-user basis.
* Users that still want an X11 tray can install the new trayer package,
but it is not pulled in by default. Tray-dependent applications, even
when installed, will only be launched by default when trayer is present.
* xterm is no longer started by default. Users may start their choice
of terminal from the menu.
PLEASE NOTE that in order to see these changes, users that have a
custom .startxwinrc files must move it aside first.