Re: [crosstool-ng/crosstool-ng] bc9ed3: Adds Raspberry Pi 3 sample config

Hello,

On Wed, 02 Mar 2016 12:11:45 -0800, Bryan Hundven wrote:

>   Changed paths:
>     A samples/armv8-rpi3-linux-gnueabihf/crosstool.config
>     A samples/armv8-rpi3-linux-gnueabihf/reported.by

I think it is not a good idea to have a configuration named after a
board, as the discussion generated around this addition shows.

Indeed, an ARMv8 processor can run both in 32 bits mode or 64 bits mode
depending on the use cases. So a single board like the RPi3 can
require the use of either an ARM toolchain, or an AArch64 toolchain.

So, I think you should stick to configurations for processor cores, not
boards. So:

	arm-cortex-a15
	arm-cortex-a7
	aarch64-cortex-a53
	aarch64-cortex-a72

Then, a RPi3 user can chose either an arm-* toolchain or an aarch64-*
toolchain depending on what he wants to do.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons