Re: Native GDB for i686-w64-mingw32 toolchain

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 02:56:08PM +0100, Matthias WeiÃer wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 01:53:10PM +0100, Matthias WeiÃer wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I try to build a cross toolchain for Windows which should run on
> >> linux. The process runs until building the native GDB which fails with
> >> the following error message
> >>
> >> configure: error: expat is missing or unusable
> >
> > I saw a similar issue on archlinux.
> >
> > What distribution are you on?
> >
> > -Bryan
> $ cat /etc/os-release
> NAME="Ubuntu"
> VERSION="15.10 (Wily Werewolf)"
> ID=ubuntu
> ID_LIKE=debian
> PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 15.10"
> VERSION_ID="15.10"
> HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/";
> SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/";
> BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/";
>
> But why should the distro influence the build of a native GDB?
> Shouldn't it need (in my case) expat for i686-w64-mingw32 which is
> installed in the step "[INFO ]  Installing expat for target"?
>
> Regards
> Matthias

I think you need to install libexpat1-dev (checked with
packages.ubuntu.com).

We should check for that with configure. (note to self)

The distro is the one that packages the libexpat package.

On ArchLinux and Gentoo, normal libraries and their development packages are one in the same.

Debian and Ubuntu package them separately. Same with Fedora/Redhat
variants (including OpenSuse), but they just name them differently.

The build failure is happening with native-gdb, not cross-gdb, correct?
So native=build, not target or host.

Since it is on the build system, the build system should provide
libexpat development files.

I hope that helps explain things.

Cheers,

-Bryan