Re: Force crosstool-NG to build with a specific compiler?

Hello JML!

> The problem is that Travis-ci just export a CC variable at the
Using CC= is a very bad idea, which you already described. This is used
by gnu make implicit rules and by some configure scripts, too.
The solution is to use another environment variable.

> So I am wondering if there is an easy way to choose which base
> compiler we want for the host part?
This is currently hard coded (detected my "which") by CT-NG, as far as I have
analysed in the last couple of minutes.

When you look to ".build/<compiler_to_build>/buildtools/bin"
you will see a lot of short shell scripts. This are the tools (including the
compiler) which is used by CT-NG to build all the host tools. This short
scripts are generated by "scripts/crosstool-NG.sh" beginning at line 408.
You will see some lines with "where=...".

You could add the check for an environment variable (e.g.: CT_TOOL_BUILD_gcc,
CT_TOOL_BUILD_as, ...), defining the tool location/name to use.
Then define the environment variables for the tools you would like to override
in the .travis.yml file.

BR
   Jasmin