Re: [crosstool-ng] Pre-built toolchains for testing in Buildroot

Thomas, all,

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Buildroot is an embedded Linux build system, which is capable of using
> external pre-built cross-compilation toolchains. Crosstool-NG
> toolchains are supported through this mechanism.
>
> I while back, Yann E. Morin, the former maintainer of Crosstool-NG,
> created some pre-built toolchains that the Buildroot project uses to
> run some test builds against Crosstool-NG toolchains. This ensures that
> people building toolchains with Crosstool-NG will be able to use them
> with Buildroot.
>
> Those toolchains are available here:
>
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/armv5-ctng-linux-gnueabi.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/armv6-ctng-linux-uclibcgnueabi.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/armv7-ctng-linux-gnueabihf.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/i486-ctng-linux-uclibc.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/i686-ctng-linux-gnu.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/mips64el-ctng_n32-linux-gnu.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/mips64el-ctng_n64-linux-gnu.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/mipsel-ctng-linux-uclibc.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/powerpc-ctng-linux-uclibc.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/powerpc-ctng_e500v2-linux-gnuspe.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/powerpc64-ctng-linux-gnu.tar.xz
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.org/toolchains/tarballs/x86_64-ctng_locales-linux-gnu.tar.xz
>
> However, those toolchains are now one year old, and some of them have
> some issues:
>
>  - The uClibc toolchains were built without IPv6 support, and Buildroot
>    now requires IPv6 support to be present. Due to this, we had to
>    disable the use of all uClibc toolchains from the above list.
>
>    See
>    http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot-test/commit/?id=e11a3af5aa56ba7f44aca8e615e5b2222d860dd6
>
>  - The ARM toolchains are affected by gcc bug PR58854, causing
>    lttng-tools to fail building.
>
>  - The PowerPC toolchains are affected by gcc bug PR60155, causing a
>    build problem with SDL and mpeg2.
>
>  - The MIPS64 toolchain uses a too old glibc version, which lacks
>    SYS_getdents64, causing a build failure of Python 3.
>
>  - The MIPS uClibc toolchain fails to build gdb, weston and civetweb (I
>    believe due to uClibc issues)
>
> Is there someone in the Crosstool-NG community interested in working
> with the Buildroot community to provide more up-to-date pre-built
> Crosstool-NG toolchains, and fixing the above issues?
>
> Also, I would strongly advise Crosstool-NG to move away from uClibc,
> and use uClibc-ng instead. This project is much more lively, and has
> tons of fixes that have never been in a uClibc stable release.

I had no clue about uClibc-ng, I will definitely look into it!

> Best regards,
>
> Thomas Petazzoni
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
> Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering
> http://free-electrons.com
>
> --

I am happy to help out with providing these toolchains.

Get me on irc, and we'll discuss details!

Cheers,

-Bryan