Re: Hosting under the SFC umbrella

Hello list,

On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Some time ago, I asked the Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC) if they
> would be willing to host the crosstool-NG project. They now have
> answered, and we've been offered membership:
>     https://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2014-04/msg00013.html
>
> For those of you who do not know, SFC is a not-for-profit organisation
> whose goal is the advancement of Free Software. Their website clearly
> explains what they're doing:
>
>     http://sfconservancy.org/
>
>     Software Freedom Conservancy is a not-for-profit organization that
>     helps promote, improve, develop, and defend Free, Libre, and Open
>     Source Software (FLOSS) projects. Conservancy provides a non-profit
>     home and infrastructure for FLOSS projects. This allows FLOSS
>     developers to focus on what they do best â writing and improving
>     FLOSS for the general public â while Conservancy takes care of the
>     projects' needs that do not relate directly to software development
>     and documentation.
>
> There are quite a number of very well-known projects hosted at SFC, of
> which:
>
>     BusyBox, Git, Inkscape, Mercurial, PyPy, Samba, SWIG, uClibc, Wine
>

> This offer of membership is just an offer; crosstool-NG is not yet a
> member project of SFC. We must first discuss whether to accept or not
> this offer, and if we accept, under what terms we will join SFC.
>

> We now have some questions to answer before we get hosted under the
> SFC's umbrella. All contributors to the crosstool-NG project, whether
> they contributed code and/or documentation, and/or helped on the mailing
> list and/or the IRC channel, as well as users of the crosstool-NG
> project, are encouraged to answer those questions, and participate in
> the discussion.
>
> The SFC proposal comes with a template of an agreement we'd have to
> sign. This template is just that: a template. I propose we use it as a
> basis for our discussions. The template is available there:
>     https://sfconservancy.org/members/apply/ConservancyFSATemplate.pdf
>

> ----
>
> First and foremost, do we want the crosstool-NG project to be hosted
> by the SFC, at all?
>
> Before you answer this question, please be sure to review what SFC
> does, and whether that's what you believe the crosstool-NG project
> needs.
>

> ----
>
> SFC wants the project to have (in their own words) a Project Leadership
> Committee (PLC). The PLC is in charge of managing the project, serves
> as the interface between the project and SFC, and should be at least
> three persons.
>
> We currently have no such thing as a PLC, so we must create one. I
> suggest we use the terminology of SFC to name this the "Crosstool-NG
> Project Leadership Committee" (CPLC for short.)
>
> As to how to form the CPLC, my preference would go to the second form
> [...]

A while back Yann sent this message out, and two people were nominated
for CPLC, Yann and myself.

For us to move forward with the SFC, we need at least one more person
to step up to be on the CPLC. And if we have more then three, there is
no problem with that, the more the merrier!

Thanks for you time!

-Bryan