ld linker used by gcc and paths

Hello,

This is probably a very newbie question, so be patient if I have not
supplied enough information, or if this is not sufficiently specific to
ct-ng.

I have used CT-NG to create two cross-compiler tool-chains which are
installed at:

/opt/toolchains/armv6/...
/opt/toolchains/armv7/...

In both cases the CT_TARGET is 'arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf'.  I didn't
supply a vendor so got the default I guess.

When I try to use the tool-chains with autoconf, with libtool, I am
getting some errors which I think relate to the following entry in the
.config file I used to build these two tool-chains.

There is a line which reads:

CT_BINUTILS_LINKERS_LIST="ld"

I add either /opt/toolchains/armv6 or /opt/toolchains/armv7 to my path
but when I add macros in my configure scripts to check libraries, I
think the wrong 'ld' is being used, because the path to 'ld' is not in
my $PATH and the native linker is being used.

It took me a long time to realise this is not an issue of the sysroot
being wrong or ignored, I think.

I have tried setting LD in the configure script but it makes no
difference.  I guess the ld being used is the one named *inside* gcc, if
that makes sense.

I could probably solve this by adding the path to the right 'ld' to the
front of my $PATH but I can't help thinking this is not the right way to
do it.  I don't want to kludge it.

The line:

CT_BINUTILS_LINKERS_LIST="ld"

Seems to suggest it might be possible to add more entries?  Is this a
comma or space-seperated list?  And will the ones first in the list be
chosen over the later ones?

Or maybe this makes sense:

CT_BINUTILS_LINKERS_LIST="${CT_TARGET}-ld"

Long and rambling email, sorry.

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

Don't judge my disability until you witness my ability

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/