Re: github... need suggestions from you.

Austin,

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 5:34 AM, Austin Morton <austinpmorton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bryan,
>
> Another "1 commit" contributor here, so take me opinions with a grain of salt.
>
> I believe github is the best place for any open source community
> driven project, and commend you for moving in that direction. My
> experience sending a patch in via hg and the mailing list was less
> than fun.
>
> Back when this project still used hg I made a contribution, despite
> never using hg in my life. I had to setup hg on my machine along with
> the correct plugins to generate the emails for the mailing list.
> Ultimately it probably took me a few minutes with the help of Google.
>
> My point is this: every project has a different toolchain and steps
> required to contribute. This project is changing those requirements.
>
> The fact of the matter is, more people already have, use, and are
> familiar with github than not these days. It makes total sense to move
> in that direction.
>
> Of course, at the end of the day, if someone does send a patch in via
> the mailing list, Bryan could simply push it to a branch himself, open
> a pull request at github, and then direct any code review to the PR.
>
> Maintaining a mailing list for development as well as issue tracker
> will only serve to confuse and segment the community. In the end, it
> makes more sense to use the mailing list for user support/help and
> keep code review and other development "stuff" in github.
>
> At the end of the day, creating a github account takes 10 seconds, and
> you can then watch the ct-ng repo yourself in order to get email
> notifications about issues and pr's (WHICH YOU CAN DIRECTLY REPLY TO
> VIA EMAIL). This also allows people to control whether or not they get
> spammed with development "stuff" if they are only on the mailing list
> for support using ctng.
>
> TL;DR; github simplifies the process and lowers the bar for entry when
> contributing IMO, trying to keep both lines of communication (mailing
> list and gh issues) alive for development purposes will only stress
> out the maintainer and segment the community.
>
> Basically, I would try and convince as many people as you can to use
> github instead of the mailing list for code review and patch
> submission. It will make your life easier.
>
> Either jump into github with two feet, or not at all.

I feel exactly the same on this topic.

For one, I'm a fairly busy person and tracking the mailing list is not
my strong suit, although you can tell (by watching merges of pull
requests and ability to track issues on github) that management via
github is much simpler.

With all due respect to Yann for starting this project and his ability
to track the mailing list - there were many times when contributions
were posted and passed without comments or being applied because of
his busy schedule. If it wasn't for Yann, I (and many others) would
not be here. Yann continues to provide guidance and development on
crosstool-ng. I have no words to describe my gratitude to him, except
that I need to order tickets to the next ELC in europe so that I can
buy him and the free-electrons devs some beer and a few rounds of
billiards! :D

More so then those that contributed (first time committers or
otherwise) are those that help out here on the mailing list! Those
stats are harder to collect and the work those who provide support on
this mailing list is in great debt! Many of those that have one or two
commits have also contributed their time in helping others here. So my
thanks respectively go out to them as well!

With all that, I am still investigating a way to make this all
co-exist, although I feel what Austin is saying here (cut from above):

> Maintaining a mailing list for development as well as issue tracker
> will only serve to confuse and segment the community. In the end, it
> makes more sense to use the mailing list for user support/help and
> keep code review and other development "stuff" in github.

...And I don't want that. I also see the mailing list (and the
irc.freenode.net #crosstool-ng channel) as ways to get support for
crosstool-ng, and general discussions and RFCs. The mailing list is
called "CrossGCC", and isn't (and shouldn't be) specific to
crosstool-ng. It is about discussion on creating cross compilers with
gcc, in the general sense.

I'm always happy to help people with using the new github workflow, so
please ask if you need help!
If patches are sent to the mailing list, I won't discard them. I will
do what I can to get them in too!
But review on the patches and issues with crosstool-ng need to be
managed in github.

I just started a new job, so things may not happen right away here at
the end of this year/beginning of next, but after the dust settles I
hope to have patchwork up to date and documentation updated in
crosstool-ng.

Cheers,

-Bryan