Re: github... need suggestions from you.

Bryan,

Another "1 commit" contributor here, so take me opinions with a grain of salt.

I believe github is the best place for any open source community
driven project, and commend you for moving in that direction. My
experience sending a patch in via hg and the mailing list was less
than fun.

Back when this project still used hg I made a contribution, despite
never using hg in my life. I had to setup hg on my machine along with
the correct plugins to generate the emails for the mailing list.
Ultimately it probably took me a few minutes with the help of Google.

My point is this: every project has a different toolchain and steps
required to contribute. This project is changing those requirements.

The fact of the matter is, more people already have, use, and are
familiar with github than not these days. It makes total sense to move
in that direction.

Of course, at the end of the day, if someone does send a patch in via
the mailing list, Bryan could simply push it to a branch himself, open
a pull request at github, and then direct any code review to the PR.

Maintaining a mailing list for development as well as issue tracker
will only serve to confuse and segment the community. In the end, it
makes more sense to use the mailing list for user support/help and
keep code review and other development "stuff" in github.

At the end of the day, creating a github account takes 10 seconds, and
you can then watch the ct-ng repo yourself in order to get email
notifications about issues and pr's (WHICH YOU CAN DIRECTLY REPLY TO
VIA EMAIL). This also allows people to control whether or not they get
spammed with development "stuff" if they are only on the mailing list
for support using ctng.

TL;DR; github simplifies the process and lowers the bar for entry when
contributing IMO, trying to keep both lines of communication (mailing
list and gh issues) alive for development purposes will only stress
out the maintainer and segment the community.

Basically, I would try and convince as many people as you can to use
github instead of the mailing list for code review and patch
submission. It will make your life easier.

Either jump into github with two feet, or not at all.

Just my $0.02,

Austin Morton