libintl on Mac OS X

Hi,

I am trying to build arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi toolchain on Mac OS X
10.9.4 with crosstool-ng and have a problem with libintl. On Linux,
this library is part of libc but on Mac, it comes in a separate
package. I've installed the package and am able to link with -lintl.

When building the toolchain, if I don't link explicitly with -lintl, I get this:
[EXTRA]    Installing C library headers
[ERROR]    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
[ERROR]    make[3]: ***
[/Volumes/extra/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/.build/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/build/build-libc-startfiles/sunrpc/cross-rpcgen]
Error 1

>From build.log:
[ALL  ]    Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
[ALL  ]      "_libintl_setlocale", referenced from:
[ALL  ]          _main in cross-rpc_main.o
[ALL  ]    ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64

I tried adding it as build linker flag, host linker flag and gcc extra
flag (in C library category of menuconfig). In each of these
situations, the above file compiles fine, however, it seems the flag
is overused:

[ERROR]    configure: error: Need linker with .init_array/.fini_array support.

In config.log:
/Volumes/extra/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/.build/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/buildtools/lib/gcc/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/4.9.1/../../../../arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld.bfd:
cannot find -lintl

As I can see, this flag is also used by the toolchain itself, which
doesn't use system paths and can't find the library.

Is there any way to add this flag *only* when using the system
compiler? I would have expected build/host flags to do the trick but
it seems they don't.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Valentina