Re: AVR32 support in crosstool-ng

On 29 April 2013 20:29, Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com> wrote:
> Why doesn't Atmel submit their patches upstream?

They would never be accepted as long as they make modifications to
cpu-agnostic portions of GCC.

> As an embedded FOSS community, we need to be encouraging
> vendors.. prodding them.. to submit their tools upstream.

Absolutely. After all, chip vendors make their money by selling
silicon, not compilers.

But it's not only a technical issue. The GCC maintainers also need to
believe that the port will continue to be maintained, tested, the code
updated to new versions of GCC, that bugs found will be fixed and so
on, i.e. a commitment from the vendor to help with to the ongoing work
of software maintenance.