RE: microblaze-unknown-linux-gnu : cross-gdb failed

Am Montag, den 08.10.2012, 01:52 +0000 schrieb David Holsgrove:
> Hi Stephan, All

Hi David,

yep :-)

> > Now I run into a problem with cross-gdb I'll try to fix together with
> > the maintainer from Xilinx and Crosstool-NG.
> >
> > The cross-gdb step breaks with the following message:
> > [INFO ]  Installing cross-gdb
> > [ERROR]    /store/devel/TOOLCHAINS/crosstool-ng/targets/src/gdb-
> > custom/gdb/../opcodes/../opcodes/microblaze-opcm.h:34: error: 'sleep'
> > redeclared as different kind of symbol
> > [ERROR]    make[3]: *** [microblaze-tdep.o] Error 1
> > [ERROR]    make[2]: *** [all-gdb] Error 2
> > [ERROR]    make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> >
> [SNIP]
>
> This unfortunately confirms what I suspected, that the source on
> git.xilinx.com is out of date. We'll look into updating what has
> been made available.

Fine, please send me a hint of upcoming results ...

> The error you are seeing is indeed caused by the inclusion of 'sleep'
> in microblaze_instr in the gdb/opcodes/microblaze-opcm.h. It would
> appear the version of microblaze-opcm.h on git.xilinx.com is incorrect
> - it should match the binutils version, and not specify 'sleep', as
> this is simply an alias of the mbar 16 instruction.

Ok, that's why I can not find the sleep entry in binutils/opcodes ...

> If you would like to manually remove this entry, you should be able to
> build cross-gdb successfully without any conflicts.

Ok, I'll try to harmonize the opcode and bfd area of gdb with the
corresponding area in binutils. I'll inform you then ...

> [SNIP]
> > --snip--
> > @David and Nagaraju: Is there a time line to merge all the Microblaze
> > portings into binutils/gcc/eglibc mainline or present patch sets for
> > crosstool-ng in a short time?
> >
> I'd rather not bombard crosstool-ng with heavy patches for adding mb
> support, so in the meantime building custom against git.xilinx.com is
> probably the best strategy. I donât have an exact time line for mainline
> availability, but submissions based on latest branches of
> binutils/gdb/gcc/eglibc/newlib will begin shortly to the relevant mailing
> lists.

That's ok. But I think you should reorganize the Xilinx git repository
and extract the source trees to separated repositories, for example:

http://git.xilinx.com/?p=microblaze-gnu.git;a=tree;f=src/binutils

http://git.xilinx.com/?p=binutils-microblaze.git

... and so on.

When anybody wants to use the sources for a recompilation with
crosstool-ng he has to download about 4.2GB, but more than the half is
useless for the build process. The source code itself is about 1GB.
That's not practicable ... It is so easy to clone the mainline git
repository of each GNU project and present a private microblaze feature
branche on it.

On the other side separate repositories can be better used for upcoming
development together with the community ...

Thanks a lot,
Stephan