Re: 1.16.0: can't create arm-bare_newlib_cortex_m3_nommu-eabi toolchain

Trevor, All,

On Friday 07 September 2012 17:46:00 Trevor Woerner wrote:
> I used the 1.16.0 release of crosstool-NG to attempt to create the
> arm-bare_newlib_cortex_m3_nommu-eabi toolchain but was not successful.
>
> $ ct-ng arm-bare_newlib_cortex_m3_nommu-eabi
> $ ct-ng menuconfig
> (small tweaks to the configuration to add make-3.81-native and adjust
> a couple paths)
> $ ct-ng build

The sample without tweaks builds just fine here. Can you check that
it is also the case (without your tweaks!) on your side?

> I followed the same steps with 1.15.0 and it succeeded without problems.
>
> I can't help notice that with 1.15.0 the order of build is:
> [INFO ]  Extracting, patching and installing companion tools
> [INFO ]  Installing GMP for host
> [INFO ]  Installing MPFR for host
> [INFO ]  Installing PPL for host
> [INFO ]  Installing CLooG/PPL for host
> [INFO ]  Installing binutils for host
> [INFO ]  Installing elf2flt for host
> [INFO ]  Installing pass-2 core C compiler
> [INFO ]  Installing C library
> [INFO ]  Installing final compiler
> [INFO ]  Finishing C library
>
> but for 1.16.0 the order is:
> [INFO ]  Extracting, patching and installing companion tools
> [INFO ]  Installing MPFR for host
> [INFO ]  Installing PPL for host
> [INFO ]  Installing CLooG/PPL for host
> [INFO ]  Installing binutils for host
> [INFO ]  Installing elf2flt for host
> [INFO ]  Installing pass-1 core C compiler
> [INFO ]  Installing pass-2 core C compiler
> [INFO ]  Installing final compiler
> (failure)
>
> Notice how with 1.15.0, after finishing up pass-2 of the
> cross-compiler, it does the C library, then the final compiler. With
> 1.16.0 it tries to do the final compiler immediately after pass-2.

Yes, that's because your .config has:
  CT_LIBC="none"

That is, no C library is selected (which may be valid in some cases, but
is not on yours).

Was that a deliberate tweak of yours?
If so, why do you not want to use a C library?

> The start of the errors from my 1.16.0 build look like the following
> line and are followed by many such similar lines:
[--SNIP--]

No need to look at this part of the log, the error happens before that. ;-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.