Re: [CT-NG 1.11.1] eglibc internationalization support

Hi Yann, all!

> > I have nothing important to say about it for now. Looks good.
> > With the add-ons selection chmanges on-going, I thinks that it
> > should
> > be
> > added as an available add-on.
>
> Sure, but as an add-on handled automatically by CT-NG like nptl (this
> is
> what my patch does), or as an optional add-on from
> CT_LIBC_ADDONS_LIST?
>
> Also note that it is possible to limit the set of locales to install
> with
> SUPPORTED-LOCALES, but I'm note sure adding such a config would be
> very
> useful for CT-NG.

I have briefly looked at glibc's and eglibc's Makefiles. Both have a
localedata/install-locales target, but apparently only for native builds
since they use the built localedef. A host localedef is required in order
to install the locales, hence eglibc's localedef add-on. Unfortunately,
there doesn't seem to be such an add-on for glibc.

The options for eglibc are:
1) Use the localedef add-on.
2) Use a pre-installed host version of localedef.

The options for glibc are:
1) Use eglibc's localedef add-on if it works, but it's probably better to
   avoid mixing packages.
2) Use a pre-installed host version of localedef.
3) Do not support installing target locales, which would be a shame.

I think 2) would be the best for both since it would avoid eglibc/glibc
branches. The host localedef would be detected by CT-NG's configure.

Do you think the installation of locales should be mandatory, or a config
option?

Do you think that the list of locales to install should be a configuration,
or that all locales should be installed?

Tools like BuildRoot have an option to purge the target locales installed
from a toolchain, so too many config options concerning locales is perhaps
useless for CT-NG.

Tell me what you think.

Regards,
BenoÃt