Re: glibc can not be installed anywhere than in /usr

On Wednesday 25 May 2011 173051 Jean-Michel Hautbois wrote:
> Hi Yann, list
>
> First of all, crosstool-ng is a great tool, quite easy to configure.
>
> I am currently trying to recompile a gcc for my x86_64 machine using
> crosstool-ng-1.11.3,

Crosstool-NG is not (yet?) capable of building native toolchains.

> When I looked at the glibc-eglibc.sh-common file I noticed that --prefix is
> hardcoded with --prefix=/usr
> According to me, this should not be the case, but is there any good reason
> for doing that ?

Yes, this has to be /usr. See:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_mono/libc.html#Configuring-and-compiling

---8<---
the normal setting to install as the standard system library is â--prefix=/usrâ
for GNU/Linux systems and â--prefix=â (an empty prefix) for GNU/Hurd systems.
---8<---

And:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_mono/libc.html#Linux

---8<---
GNU/Linux expects some components of the libc installation to be in /lib
and some in /usr/lib. This is handled automatically if you configure glibc
with â--prefix=/usrâ. If you set some other prefix or allow it to default
to /usr/local, then all the components are installed there.
---8<---

But even though the above don't tell, if you set it to anything but /usr,
it is gonna fail in horrible ways in some corner cases.

And remember that we are not doing _native_, but only cross toolchains,
so this _has_ to be /usr, as in "/usr on the target".

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |