Re: Final toolchain dir

I agree with you though - the toolchain should be read only and preserved clear not least because if there is some kind of error or fault during the image build and files get overwritten/deleted then the whole toolchain needs to be built again and that is a bit of a pain!

Yep! And especially when the toolchain is a ressource shared by many
developpers, you do not want any of them to fumble in the sysroot.
I've stumbled across a similar scenario today as I was fighting with an ancient version of expect (the tcl package), which "does not crosscompile" and I had to use some ingenious hacks to get around it. When I ran configure, make and then make install the latter failed - miserably so - and it turned out that "make install" was attempting to write to my toolchain's sysroot (failing miserably as the toolchain is obviously read only) - so, if that wasn't the case my toolchain would have been compromised - as it turned out the "make install" was a bit dodgy! Patching it did the trick though and all worked well in the end.

The dev-team mostly has no knowledge about what a toolchain is (trust
me, a basic C++ or Java developper has no idea what a compiler is!
Especially the Java devel has no clue! Hehe! :-] ).
I know - I am a developer and until about a week or so ago I've only used basic "toolchains" (i.e. compiling i686 code on x86_64 machine) and that was pretty much my experience of this - until now - when I have to build tested ppc and later on arm package to go with it. Not an easy task as the learning curve for me is a bit steep!

BTW gcc-4.6.0 is out!
I'll stick with the tried-and-tested for the time being - I am not one who jumps at the newest and greatest straight away - I've burned my fingers far too many times to care! :-X