Re: toolchain for powerpc e500v2

On Wednesday 09 February 2011 10:32:35 Titus von Boxberg wrote:
> Am Mi, 9.02.2011, 09:00 schrieb Bryan Hundven:
> > Hmm. Something sounds odd here. you want a hard float toolchain, but
> > add -msoft-float?
> My "naive" approach to copy my existing, working powerpc configuration
> and adding the options for the e500v2 failed.
> Roughly the steps given above were necessary for me
> to get such a configuration working.
> I added --without-fp to glibc's configuration flags because from the errors I got,
> I assume that glibc's configuration cannot handle the case that you have
> hard float with an incompatible FPU.
> The powerpc specific Makefile then simply adds -msoft-float to CFLAGS.
> This addition I patched away because that's clearly not what I would want:
> The e500v2 has an incompatible, but not no FPU.
> *Then* I got an error free build of glibc.

I see what you mean:
- configure gcc so it emits proper e500v2 hard-float
- configure glibc to turn off internal hard-float support, but in this
  case glibc calls gcc with -msoft-float, which you patch away so that
  you rely on gcc to emit proper assembly.

> And, if not, are you or Yann interested in possibly necessary patches
> or a sample of a working configuration?

Yes, please. Provided the patches are not too intrusive and we can clearly
see what they do.

> As said above, I'd drop further work for glibc in favor
> of a (besides few GNU/BSD incompatibilities) smooth eglibc build, otherwise.

There's already a powerpc-e500v2-linux-gnuspe sample that uses eglibc-2.10.
Did you try this? Did you try with crosstool-NG 1.10.0?

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.