Re: SUCCESS!!!! Update: Still with Build failure for PPC405 using crosstool-ng-1.9.2

Bryan, Anthony, Khem, All,

On Friday 21 January 2011 02:38:24 Bryan Hundven wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Chris Kerios <ckerios@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> > After putting in the compiler config parameter Bryan sent, it went all the
> > way through. ÂYea!

Great! Happy that it turned out OK on your system! :-)

> This should be in 1.9 tip:
> http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/hg/crosstool-ng/rev/2b25e1dab615

Yes it is.

> So it will be in 1.9.3

There's only one patch against 1.9.2, so I'm not ready to release 1.9.3 yet.
Probably by the end of the month, just before the next main release.

> and 2.0(?)...

I'm not sure the changes in the tree would warrant a major hopt, so I think
it'll be 1.10.0. The glibc/eglibc unification will be in, but the canadian
and companion libraries stuff won't. I would prefer to have those two in
before I cut out a major release.

> > 4) Set library for eglibc instead of glibc <- don't know if it makes a
> > difference, will have to run some more builds to see.
> Shouldn't make a difference. eglibc is source compatible with glibc. (in theory)

eglibc is a little bit more than that. For example, they have patches for
some PPC variants that haven't gone (and will probably never go) upstream.
Besides, eglibc is configurable, while glibc is not.

But basically, they are roughly the same.

> > 5) Set CT_LIBC_GLIBC_EXTRA_CFLAGS="-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE"
> I'm thinking we should just turn this on for all (e)glibc builds. If
> we build with SSP enabled, we have to do other thing here instead to
> build (e)glibc properly with ssp.

Granted. Either we hard-code it, or we offer a comfig knob to turn it off/on,
with off being the default.

And anyway, SSP requires a bit more that just this fortify define (see
a recent thread on the list).

> > 6) Current versions of everything: gcc=4.4.4, binutils=2.19.1, eglic=2.10
> > everything else set to defaults
> > 7) Didn't ask for Java or Fortran to be built
> > Seems to me the real issues to be fixed are the make problem and maybe some
> > default setting changes or documentation updates in regards to #3 and
> > #5...and making sure to CLoog/ppl patch makes it into the next release.
> See notes above.

Also, I would point out that there is an existing working sample for PPC405:
  # ct-ng show-powerpc-405-linux-gnu
  powerpc-405-linux-gnu  [G  ]
      OS             : linux-2.6.31.14
      Companion libs : gmp-4.3.2 mpfr-2.4.2
      binutils       : binutils-2.19.1
      C compiler     : gcc-4.3.2 (C,C++,Fortran,Java)
      C library      : glibc-2.9
      Tools          : dmalloc-5.5.2 duma-2_5_15 gdb-6.8

Which you can use to pre-configure your toolchain by simply running:
  # ct-ng powerpc-405-linux-gnu
  [--SNIP--]

  Initially reported by: Julien DUSSER

  Comment:
  Soft-float for the 405 PowerPC

  Now configured for "powerpc-405-linux-gnu"

Then you can run the menuconfig to tweak for your own usage.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.