Re: Opinions requested

Johannes, Harold, All,

On Sunday 22 August 2010 18:36:30 Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> > >     --with-newlib \
> AFAIK newlib is a bit limited but it still supports POSIX (depending on
> target).

Yes, indeed, but the option --with-newlib, despite its name just tells
gcc that a full libc is not available. Coupled with the --without-headers
then means that a C library is not available at all.

Neither Harold nor I did say that newlib was not POSIX. What Harold said is
that I was using a non-POSIX library written by him and his colleague(s).

> I've built toolchains with newlib myself for work on
> bare-metal test code and boot code. Newlib is insufficient
> for complex userspace applications, but not everyone is targeting
> Linux userspace.

Never said that! :-) And crosstool-NG also has a way to use newlib for
bare-metal targets. Although newlib is superfluous when it comes to,
say, building a bootloader. Bootloader very often have their own
support library. For what I know, neither U-Boot nor redboot require
newlib to build. They do not even take advantage of newlib if it is
available, either.

And what Harold is doing is having his own support library (which offers a
non-POSIX API), and links his programs against that. That's definitely a
kind of baremetal, just using his library instead of newlib.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.