Problems building a i386<->x86_64 toolchain

Hello,

first off - crosstool looks awesome - it's the best tool to help with
crosschains i've ever found :P.

However, i'm still having some problems. I'd like to build a "amd64"
(x64_64) crosscompiler on my i686 host for kernel cross-compilation. So,
what i've done is fetched cross-toolchain, configured it (.config
attached, hope thats no problem) and tried to build. I'm getting a error
while configuring glibc-2.9, roughly this (full buildlog also attached...):
*** These critical programs are missing or too old: as ld

Well ..
--[ daddel9@cheza ]---[ /home/daddel9/crosstool/build ]------------------
 build/ > which as
/usr/bin/as
--[ daddel9@cheza ]---[ /home/daddel9/crosstool/build ]------------------
 build/ > which ld
/usr/bin/ld
--[ daddel9@cheza ]---[ /home/daddel9/crosstool/build ]------------------
 build/ > as --version
GNU assembler (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.20.1-system.20100303
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or later.
This program has absolutely no warranty.
This assembler was configured for a target of `i486-linux-gnu'.
--[ daddel9@cheza ]---[ /home/daddel9/crosstool/build ]------------------
 build/ > ld --version
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.20.1-system.20100303
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.

i'm not sure those are "too old or missing" - its the most recent debian
has to offer, and honestly, that gotta be okay for glibc 2.9 -- or am i
terribly wrong?

Anyways, i'd be glad if someone could drop me a tip where to start
looking... i'm really lost here.

Thanks in Advance, Regards
- Dario Ernst