Re: Crosstool-NG: WCHAR-support in uClibc-toolchain

Hello Simon!
Hello All!

On Wednesday 28 October 2009 12:37:35 Simon Pasch wrote:
> For a powerpc-based device I used the internal uClibc-toolchain of
> buildroot (http://buildroot.uclibc.org/). While migrating to
> crosstool-ng I stumbled upon wchar-support in the
> crosstool-ng-generated uClibc-toolchain (buildroot moans, if some
> settings differ from those in the external toolchain)

Yes, this is a known 'issue'. There is a kind of plan to have buildroot
rely on crosstool-NG to build its toolchain, so we'd end up with the
same issue, and the idea was to make crosstol-NG expose its configuration
so buildroot can act accordingly (enable/disable things).

> It is enabled in "scripts/build/libc/uClibc.sh" by default, if
> C++-Compiler is selected. In my case, I want to disable wchar-support,
> because I'm creating a tiny embedded system (until now I haven't
> needed wchar in any application).

As far as I remember, the g++ would not build if wchar was missing in the
C library. But things may have changed, and this may work now. YMMV.

> Therefore I would like to know, if it would be acceptable to insert
> some extra options in the "C-library"-menu of crosstool-ng...just like
> in buildroot:

The uClibc config file is there for a purpose: so the user can set options.
I would rather not duplicate the config menu from uClibc, and leave up to
the user to give an appropriate config file. But OTOH, there's already an
option to enable/disable locales in uClibc.

So, I'm enclined to be careful here. Please, send a patch, and we'll discuss
it. Try to keep things well-contained, and send one patch per 'option', so
we can cherry-pick those that makes sense.

> -enable large file (files > 2 GB) support

Be carefull, option not needed if ARCH_64 (or the like).

> -enable IPV6
> -enable RPC

Let's see the amount of code this adds.

> -enable toolchain locale/i18n support

Already there, may need fixing.

> -purge unwanted locales

Depends on the above.

> -enable WCHAR support

Let's see the amount of code this adds.

> -use software floating point by default

Already there! :-)

> -enable stack protection support

Not uClibc-specific, if you add that, goes to the "C Compiler" menu.

In the end, I'd be glad to review your patches. Make it so that each new
feature is in a self-contained patch.