Re: ct-ng build fails with 'make[1]: *** [configure-binutils] Error 1'

Godmar,
All,

On Friday 04 September 2009 05:47:13 Godmar Back wrote:
> When building ct-ng, it indicated that my automake and autoconf were
> out-of-date (that, by itself, triggered repressed memories...)
> So I downloaded and configured autoconf-2.64 and automake-1.10.2 with
> the same prefix into which I installed ct-ng.

Yes, some of the components in the toolchain require those updated versions.
There has recently been discussions on this list whether it'd make sense
for crosstool-NG to build its own version, to alleviate the problem.

I haven't had time to look into this, but it's on the tablets...

> My attempt to build crosstools breaks with:
[[--SNIP--]
> build.log contains:
>
> [ALL  ]    *** BFD does not support target x86_64-unknown-elf.
> [ALL  ]    *** Look in bfd/config.bfd for supported targets.
> [ERROR]    make[1]: *** [configure-binutils] Error 1

Tuples in the form arch-vendor-elf are for bare-metal. Are you sure
you want to run on bare-metal x86-64? Are did you forget to set the
"Target OS" to "linux"?

> What gives?  All I did was select 'x86_64' in menuconfig.

Hmm.. There is no "default" configuration for crosstool-NG. There are so
many possibilities, depending on so many factors, that deciding upon a
sane default is not easy. For the "Target OS", the default is "bare metal"
which alphabetically sorts before "linux"

That's bad because the sorting can be different, depending on the locale
in use... But I consider this as being a minor issue (if at all), and
I didn't look at /fixing/ it.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |