Re: crosstool-ng libncurses check in configure

Paul,
All,

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 17:26:14 Paul Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 10:30 -0400, Joachim Nilsson wrote:
> > 	lib="$( echo lib{ncursesw,ncurses,curses}.{so,a,dylib} )"
> Personally I think that changing the script to work properly with a
> POSIX shell is the best in the _long_ run, as it's the most portable.

Yes, ./configure *shall* be a POSIX-compliant shell script.
This is the course I took when fixing that non-portable line.

> The above seems like a lot of processing (non-portable, invokes an extra
> shell, etc.) to avoid writing 9 words:

Programers are lazy, and if they can write smaller code, all the
better. Note also that programers also prefer writing bigger code
to generate a list of constants, rather than writing said list.
Given this, please note that you can call me a programmer! ;-P

Using loops to generate said list has one positive side effect, by
the way: if we have to add a new library name and/or extension, it
is easier to update the loop that handles that part, rather than
updating the full list, which would become unmanageable in the
loooong term.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |