Re: using crosstool ng for building win32 hosted cross compiler

Hello Remy,
Hello All,

On Sunday 26 April 2009 22:57:25 Remy Bohmer wrote:
> I am currently using crosstool-ng to build a cross-toolchain for my
> target (target=x86-bare, host=x86-linux, build=x86-linux)
> Now I also need the same toolchain that can run on a Windows host
> (target=x86-bare, host=x86-mingw, build=x86-linux)

That's a canadian-cross, and crosstool-NG does not yet handle this
case.

But it should be fine with:
  host=x86-mingw, build=x86-mingw, target=x86-bare

Also, please note that 1.4.0 can now be used under Cygwin.
If you can't build under mingw, then maybe Cygwin would be a good
fallback/workaround...

> Is there an lightweight way possible to make crosstool-ng build only
> the win32 executables by using a mingw cross-compiler, and using the
> linux-hosted-toolchain-build-results as starting point? If so, where
> in the build process ct-ng performs could this be added?
> I guess, as mingw cross-compiler the i586-mingw32msvc-gcc from Ubuntu
> can be used...

Unfortunately, canadian-cross is not yet supported. I don't have enough
time to test it, but most of the infrastructure should already be here.
Most probably, a matter of:
- set "Paths and misc options" --> "Experimental" (to see next option)
- set "Toolchain options" --> "Type" --> "Canadian"
- set "Toolchain options" --> "Host system" --> "Tuple"

This will be like hunting for a dear treasure in a dungeon full of traps
and monsters, with only a one-hand sword, a few spells and a lot of good
will. May the dice be with you!

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |