Re: Using sysrooted toolchain, or not?

> As I understand it, the toolchain would not be relocatable if you don't use sysroot.

Yes it is - when I built the 2006 ARM EABI stuff with crosstool, I
didn't use sysroot (cos I didn't understand what it was!) and then had
some horrid script that moved the components into a usr/ tree and
bundled them up into tarballs, and it worked fine.

With --with-sysroot, instead of putting libraries in
target/{include,lib}, they will be spread between
target/sys-root/{usr/include,lib,usr/lib} mimicking the structure of a
regular unix filesystem. It seems this was added at some point to make
it easier to install the output in the main tree, or to make it easier
to make distro tarballs of it.

It says here:
    --with-sysroot means you need gcc-3.3.3 or later
and
    binutils 2.14 and later obey it

so unless we care about gcc-2.95, I don't think we lose anything.