Re: [CT_NG] build fixes for glibc-2.3.6 and old systems

Hi Yann,

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 11:53:52PM +0200, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Hello again!
>
> On Saturday 10 May 2008 15:55:54 Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > When installing libc headers, the wrong compiler is used (CT_TARGET)
> > instead of CT_BUILD, resulting in the headers not being built :
>
> You're not going with linuxthreads, are you?

yes I am !

> Building linuxthreads-based glibc is broken, as you just pointed out. Only
> NPTL works (or should work) with glibc. It's a crosstool-NG limitation so
> far.

OK, I understand now why we had different behaviours.

> In the case of NPTL, a cross-compiler, C-only, bare compiler is built before
> the C library headers get installed. So we have a cross-compiler by that
> time.
>
> But in the case of linuxthreads, that X-compiler is not built. So we can't use
> it to build necessary C library. Where it becomes quite strange (IMPOV) is that
> linuxthreads *should* *not* require that compiler. Anyway, it didn't when
> crosstool-NG didn't support building NPTL. Since the time I introduced NPTL
> support, the linuxthreads builds broke.
>
> Seems you just pointed me at the correct line, here! :-)
>
> > I fixed it with the following patch :
> > -    cross_cc=`CT_Which "${CT_TARGET}-gcc"`
> > +    cross_cc=`CT_Which "${CT_BUILD}-gcc"`
>
> Will be a bit more complex than just that, we'll just test wether we're
> going NPTL or linuxthreads, and set the compiler accordingly.
>
> This will have to wait a little bit, I have other, ARM-BE-EABI-uClibc problems
> ATM.

No problem, I don't need it right now anyway. As I said, I already have my
own toolchain for my needs, but am always interested in seeing what exists.
I must say I like the ability to configure crosstool-NG as it is now, and
will still be following its development. But don't waste your time on my
bug report if nobody else complains.

Regards
Willy